Swedish Institute of Space Physics, Kiruna Division
ESTEC/Contract No. 13561/99/NL/SB
Minutes of the Progress Meeting PM6
18 May 2001
The agenda was agreed and the previous minutes approved.
Peter Wintoft presented the main activities since the last progress meeting.
Peter informed, as was indicated during the previous meeting, that he has been away from office for about one month.
The database is now almost complete.
The data with one-minute resolution from LANL 1996-1998 has been converted to one-hour resolution and implemented in the database. Peter Wintoft will contact G Reeves and discuss possibilities to update this data set.
Dst is in now also a separate item in the database.
AE data from NGDC, Boulder have been implemented in the database.
Kp data have been extended to include the estimated Kp from SEC, Boulder and final values from NGDC, Boulder, as well as nowcasted and forecasted Kp-values from IRF Lund.
A study made on a set of anomalies that Peter Wintoft had received from one operator was described.
The problem with the operating system for SAAPS is now solved.
The following 9 action items were identified at the PM5 held at the Swedish Institute of Space Physics 9 February 2001.
1. Peter Wintoft shall contact again Paolo Maldari (ESOC) before end of February.
Peter Wintoft has sent emails and tried to get in contact by phone but without success. Peter will continue to search an answer on the question about "official channel". The action item is still open.
2. Peter Wintoft shall submit test plan version 1.0 by 23 February.
The test plan was submitted to Alain Hilgers 28 February. The action item is closed.
3. Peter Wintoft shall send email with user names and passwords to H. Evans, E. Daly, A. Hilgers, J.-P. Catani, T. Kuch, G. Reeves and C. Kunstadter by 12 February.
All have been given user names and passwords. We have noticed that some of them have been looking at the system. The action item is closed.
4. Peter Wintoft shall put the SRD Java implementation pages on the web on 12 February.
The SRD Java implementation pages have been implemented. The action item is closed.
5. Peter Wintoft shall contact H Koons and ask about availability of anomaly data.
H Koons has been contacted. According to the information received the database does not contain the information needed for inclusion into SAAPS. The action item is closed.
6. Peter Wintoft shall update URD WP310 to version 1.0 by 14 February.
The URD version 1.0 was submitted 16 February. The action item is closed.
7. Peter Wintoft shall send a detailed schedule of the rest of the implementation of the analysis module to Alain Hilgers for approval before 12 February.
This action item is obsolete.
8. Alain Hilgers shall confirm the name of the new contracts officer for the project before 16 February.
The action item is still open.
9. Peter Wintoft shall help solving the problem with applets that occurred running SAAPS at Esrange.
Leif Kalla has been in contact with Esrange and found one solution to the problem. It was found that they could run the remote method invocation using Netscape but not on Internet Explorer. The action item is closed
Seven action items are closed, the other two are expected to be solved within a week.
We shall make an effort to add more anomaly data, e.g., from Freja, Astrid, Munin, ørstedt. Peter Wintoft shall contact Lars Blomberg, Sven Grahn and Torsten Neubert.
We have received very little response from the beta users. Peter Wintoft will send an email to ask if they have tested the beta version and if they have any suggestions for improvements.
The number of beta users shall be increased. It was suggested to include D Rodgers, R Horne, N Crosby, K Ruttten, D Heyndricks, S Clucas, A Coates, and F Lefeuvre.
A demo-CD version was discussed and may be produced if time allows.
Peter Wintoft will include an acknowledgement to data providers in the SAAPS system.
Possible extension of SAAPS and commercial evaluation was discussed. It was decided that we shall deliver a short product-perspectives report. It will cover commercial evaluation, technology transfer, future development and maintenance plan.
As discussed during the previous meeting the following items shall be delivered to ESTEC:
Software. The software, on CD-rom, including database and source code and all necessary routines to run the software will be installed at ESTEC during the final review meeting. A preliminary version shall be delivered before 8 June.
Test report. The test report produced during the installation of software at ESTEC.
Manual. Most of the manual is on-line but a short written manual for the system and user software will also be delivered.
Four Technical Notes. The TNs contain descriptions of the database and database tools, the SAAM module, the SAPM module, and Prediction of GOES-08 electron flux, respectively. Peter Wintoft will update the technical notes before 1 June and Alain Hilgers will send comments before 8 June.
Summary report. The summary report will be about 20 pages about and will contain a separate abstract page.
Full package will be delivered on a CD. Documents also in written form.
Items to be implemented in the database.
LANL data shall be implemented. Peter Wintoft shall ask G Reeves if we can receive data to update LANL data in the database.
More GOES data have been received from ESTEC and shall be implemented.
More AE data shall be implemented to extend the time coverage.
Work left on the analysis module.
The ways of treating anomalies related to single event upsets were discussed.
It was agreed as a baseline to implement.
Tool to estimate the best prediction model. The user shall provide an event list and a non-event list and as output he will get the models best suited, based on correlation between observed and predicted events.
Tool using threshold values for daily average >2 MeV and 600 keV fluence data. One version that uses a standard threshold and one that determines the optimal threshold for a given anomaly data set.
Tool using threshold values for sum of Kp.
Tool to plot low-altitude orbit data as function of local time, and geographic longitude and latitude, and to plot high-altitude data as function of local time.
Information on how to submit new anomaly data sets. Ways to promote operators to provide new anomaly data sets were discussed. The anomaly submission web page, with a connection to the tool to estimate the best prediction model, shall include an explanation on how the user can help us improve the prediction and analysis tools.
Models to be implemented in the prediction module.
It was agreed as baseline to implement five models before final delivery:
Threshold model based on predicted > 2 MeV and observed >600 keV GOES data. An extension to use predicted >600 keV GOES data will be attempted.
Threshold model using predicted sum of Kp.
Neural network-based models using the sum of Kp for three different satellite anomaly sets.
A new date for the final review, 9-10 July, was agreed.
1. Peter Wintoft shall continue to try to get in contact with Paolo Maldari (ESOC) (previous action item 1).
2. Alain Hilgers shall confirm the name of the new contracts officer for the project (previous action item 8).
3. Peter Wintoft shall contact Lars Blomberg, Sven Grahn and Torsten Neubert to ask if they can provide more anomaly data.
4. Peter Wintoft will contact G Reeves and discuss possibilities to update the LANL data set.
5. Peter Wintoft shall increase the number of beta users. It was suggested to include D Rodgers, R Horne, N Crosby, K Ruttten, D Heyndricks, S Clucas, A Coates, and F Lefeuvre.
6. Lars Eliasson shall write a "product-perspectives report", covering commercial evaluation, technology transfer, future development and maintenance plan.
7. Peter Wintoft shall include an acknowledgement to data providers in the SAAPS system.
8. Peter Wintoft shall send an email to ask if the users that have had possibilities to test the beta version have done so and if they have any suggestions for improvements.
9. Peter Wintoft shall deliver a preliminary version of the software to ESTEC before 8 June.
10. Peter Wintoft will update the technical notes before 1 June.
11. Alain Hilgers will send comments on the technical notes before 8 June.
No other matters were discussed.
It was decided to have the next meeting at ESTEC 9-10 July 2001.
Swedish Institute of Space Physics
PO Box 812
SE-981 28 Kiruna, Sweden
+46 980 790 00
+46 980 790 91
Swedish Institute of Space Physics
Solar-Terrestrial Physics Division
SE-223 70 Lund, Sweden
+46 46 286 21 21
+46 46 12 98 79